I finished replacing the rivets in the inboard aileron bracket on the left wing that I mentioned in my last post. They look much better now, and I will not be worrying about them anymore. It is amazing how thinking about these has actually slowed me down for a while, until I finally just got up the nerve to drill them out and replace them. I have replaced other rivets before, but I was nervous that in drilling these out, I would damage the aileron bracket and have to build it all over again. I just jumped in and did it this evening with no issues. Glad that is behind me!
After that, I clecoed the top skins to the left wing and prepped it all to begin riveting as soon as I can get a helper.
Yesterday I completed the right wing leading edge, cleaned up some shop area, moved the tail cone to a better storage location, and then made a test fit of the left wing leading edge to the main spar. The fit looked good.
I have one rivet I need to drill out and re-set on the left wing rear spar, and then I will begin the top skin riveting process.
I completed the fuselage kit inventory today. Just a few discrepancies to correct. E-mail sent to Van’s, and I’ll be on my way!
I decided to use the Cee Bailey’s windscreen and windows, so I deleted those from the kit. Also, I deleted the Van’s aluminum heater boxes because I intend to use the stainless heater boxes.
I am very excited to begin the fuselage construction phase, but I still have some work on the wings to complete before I can really dive in! I have been making slow but steady progress on the wings, but I hope (and think) I can really accelerate things soon.