Completed Riveting Tailcone Bottom Skin

This evening I completed riveting the tailcone bottom skin F-1078 to the side skins F1073-L&R. I used the back riveting technique that others have used with success. My stainless back riveting plate allows 11 rivets to be done simultaneously. I may make a longer back rivet plate if it becomes an issue.

Also riveted F-1055-L&R to the side skins.

I had two rivets that needed to be drilled out and replaced. One required an “oops” rivet.

Time today 3:03. Total time 19:30.

Left Elevator Trim Tab Construction

A time lapse video up to and including drilling and dimpling.  I had an issue at the end with the microstop countersink slipping and I am waiting on some “oops rivets” to arrive to finish it.  I’ll start on the right tab tonight.


[stream flv=x:/ img=x:/×169.jpg mp4=x:/ embed=false share=false width=640 height=360 dock=true controlbar=over bandwidth=high autostart=false responsive=16:9 /]

Empennage Parts

As noted before, I purchased a partially complete empennage from a fine upstanding denizen of Van’s Airforce.  After driving out to Illinois and carefully packing it in a U-Haul trailer with Larry’s help, it is now in its new home in PA.

The elevators and rudder:wpid-20150315_125848.jpg

The vertical stabilizer:wpid-20150315_125858.jpg

The tail cone:wpid-20150315_125309.jpg

And the horizontal stabilizer:wpid-20150315_132319.jpg


Coincidentally with finding a great deal on an empennage kit, someone posted a PlaneTools RV tool kit on Van’s Airforce at a decent discount with some great add-ons.  Sign me up!

So now, I have:  One partially complete empennage kit, a set of tools in the mail, and a workshop in deperate need of workbenches and shelves.  The only problem:  it is REALLY cold out right now, and I know the barn (more on the barn workshop later) is bound to be quite uncomfortable.  That means that before next fall, I need to get the workshop area properly enclosed and insulated, with some means of heating.

RV-10 Beginnings

This past weekend I acquired a partially built RV-10 tail kit from a builder in Illinois.  The quality looks good and we got it back home with no damage. 

Of course, I hadn’t been planning on starting this project for a few months, but this turned out to be quite a deal.  Next moves:  get some tools, build up the workshop, and have an experienced advisor look it over.